This is a famous drink from Maharashtra’s Konkan region. Solkadi is drink which is made from Kokum/Aamsul and coconut milk. Solkadi cools down the digestive system after eating spicy food. It is a natural digestive, good to improve the texture and quality of your skin. Kokum itself is supposed to be an excellent antidote for acidity. Some call it ‘Soul-kadhi’ and not Solkadhi as it is pure satisfaction for the soul.
· 2 cups freshly extracted coconut milk from 1 coconut (or 1 can of coconut milk + 1/4 cup water)
· 8 halves of dried kokum (or 4 tbsp. unsweetened kokum syrup or agal or 2 tbsp. sweetened kokum syrup or sarbat)
· 3-4 garlic cloves.
· 2 green chilies.
· Salt to taste.
· Fresh coriander/cilantro to garnish.
Make kokum extract by soaking 8 dried kokum/amsul in warm water and then extract the juice. Alternatively you can also use the readymade 4 tbsp Kokum Agal or 2 tbsp. Kokum syrup
· In a bowl, mix kokum extract, salt, sugar. Mix well.
· Grind together the chillies, garlic, cumin in a grinder. It is better to actually crush it in a Mortar and Pestle if you have. It will give better taste.
· Add this to the kokum extract.
· Add the coconut milk to this and mix well.
· Add water is you feel to get a thin pouring consistency. Mix well.
· Pour into glasses. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve chilled with Steamed rice or fish or any Non veg dishes or enjoy it as is as an appetiser. Either way it tastes great.